It's raising the minimum wage and cutting interest on student loans. Read this short Jonathan Chait column that outlines the actual Democratic agenda. As he concludes: "[Republicans] raise the specter of a radical Democratic agenda, but they refuse to say what they don't like about that agenda. And there's a good reason for that: It's popular."
That Democratic agenda for 2006? Here it is:
- Put new rules in place to break the link between lobbyists and legislation.
- Enact all the recommendations made by the 9/11 commission.
- Raise the federal minimum wage to $7.25 an hour.
- Cut the interest rate on federally supported student loans in half.
- Allow the government to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.
- Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds.
- Impose pay-as-you-go budget rules, requiring that new entitlement spending or tax cuts be offset with entitlement spending cuts or tax hikes.
So radical. So gay. So Pelosi!